Here is the quick recap of the second quarter of USC and Arkansas:
- The second quarter started with USC on the Arkansas 34 yard line with a first down. It didn’t take Connor Shaw long to get the Gamecocks back in the end zone from there. He capped the 11 play drive with a nine yard touchdown pass to Bruce Ellington. That extended the Gamecock lead to 17-7 with 13:40 to play in the half.
- USC drive summary: 11-66-5:31
- Arkansas started its next drive on the 35 after the USC kickoff went out of bounds. The Razorbacks failed to pick up a first down and punted three plays later.
- After a solid 56 yard punt with little return from Pharaoh Cooper, the Gamecocks started next drive on the 14. The Gamecocks used a 53 yard pass from Connor Shaw to Bruce Ellington to get back in scoring position again. Shaw followed that up a few plays later with an 18 yard scramble for a first down to convert a third and long. But it was all for not, because Mike Davis fumbled the next play and Arkansas recovered.
- After the fumble recovery Arkansas took over on its own 12. The Gamecock defense was up to the challenge though and forced another three and out.
- USC was flagged for another illegal block in the back on the punt return so the Gamecocks had to start on their own 10. USC had its worst offensive series of the game and ended up going backwards on three plays and punting from its own five.
- The USC punt was downed at the USC 47, but Arkansas was called for holding to the ball was moved back to the Arkansas 47. Once again the Gamecocks forced a punt three plays later. Arkansas went for a fake and it didn’t work.
- After thwarting the fake punt the Gamecocks started near midfield with just over 2:00 left in the half. Carolina took advantage of the good field position.The moved the ball to the Arkansas seven yard line where they faced a 4th and two with :25 lef in the half. The Gamecocks went for it and converted. The spiked the ball on first and goal to stop the clock. On the next play Connor Shaw hit Bruce Ellington from four yards out for the touchdown. That made it 24-7 USC with :13 left in the half.
- USC drive summary: 12-49-2:07
- Arkansas took a knee to run out the clock and end the half.
HALFTIME SCORE: USC 24, ARKANSAS 7