A quick recap of the first quarter of USC and Arkansas:
- Arkansas won the toss and elected to receive to start the game. The Razorbacks put the ball on the 36 yard line after the return. The Razorbacks converted a third and eight to move the ball into USC territory to the Gamecocks 42. Two running plays later they were inside the 10 with a first and goal to go on the Gamecocks seven. Two plays later they were in the end zone. Alex Collins took it in from six yards out to make it 7-0 Arkansas with 12:02 to play in the first.
- Arkansas drive summary: 7 plays, 64 yards, 2:58
- USC started its first drive of the day on the 25 after a touchback on the kickoff. The Gamecocks quickly moved across midfield through a couple of solid Mike Davis runs and Connor Shaw completions. After converting a fourth and one, a 19 yard carry by Mike Davis on an option play gave the Gamecocks first and goal at the 10. But USC was not able to find the end zone. Shaw threw an incomplete pass on first down, Davis lost six yards on second down and Shaw’s pass on third down as also incomplete. Elliott Frye connected on a 33 yard field goal to make it a 7-3 game in favor of Arkansas with 7:14 left in the first quarter.
- USC drive summary: 13 plays, 59 yards, 4:48
- Arkansas picked up an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the kick off that pushed them back to the 13 to start their next drive. The Razorbacks picked up one first down but the drive ended when quarterback Brandon Allen threw an interception right to Vic Hampton. He returned it 21 yards to the Razorback six.
- It only took Mike Davis one play to put the ball in the end zone. Davis took it six yards to give USC its first lead. That made it 10-7 Gamecocks with 5:12 to play.
- USC drive summary: 1-6-:6
- Arkansas started its next drive on the 25 after a touchback on the kickoff. The Razorbacks went nowhere as the Gamecock defense forced its first three and out of the day.
- The Arkansas punt went 34 yards, but illegal block penalty against USC that moved the ball back another 10 yards to give the Gamecocks a starting point at the 29. USC converted a fourth and one from the 38 to move the chains. That gutsy call was followed by a Mike Davis run for a first down to move the ball across midfield. The quarter ended with USC on the Arkansas 34 yard line with a first down.
FIRST QUARTER SCORE: USC 10, ARKANSAS 7