Steve Spurrier just finished up his Sunday afternoon teleconference. We’ve posted the audio for you below. As you will hear at the beginning of the call Spurrier immediately called the team trainer Clint Haggard in and updated the injury status of Jadeveon Clowney. Clowney was a recurring theme in today’s call. Below are a few of the highlights along with the audio of the call:
- Trainers calling Clowney’s injury a strained muscle is the rib area. Spurrier isn’t sure if Clowney will be back this week against Arkansas or not.
- Spurrier says they were well tested against Kentucky. He’s proud of how the offense played.
- Spurrier says they hope to get better on defense, especially in the 4th quarter. Hopes to force more punts and turnovers.
- Spurrier was asked if he thinks Clowney might not be committed fully to the team. “You’d have to ask him that.” Spurrier said they would try to make Clowney available to answer questions this week.
- Spurrier strongly defending Lorenzo Ward. When asked how Whammy was doing, Spurrier responded; “He’s 16-3 as defensive coordinator. …He’s the winningest defensive coordinator in school history. That’s how he’s doing.
- Spurrier says Mike Davis is a big reason why the Gamecocks are 4-1 right now.
- Spurrier says they like the noon start in Arkansas. Says they prefer the early start on the road.
- Spurrier expects a tough game against Arkansas. “I hope we can hang with them.”