Here is the quick recap of the first quarter of the USC-Kentucky game:
- USC received to start the game. The Gamecocks started their first drive on their own 23. USC only needed four plays to score a touchdown. Connor Shaw found Damiere Byrd on a 62 yard touchdown pass to put USC up 7-0 with 13:21 to play in the quarter.
- USC drive summary: 4-77-1:39
- USC defensive end Jadeveon Clowney did not dress for the game because of bruised ribs so the Gamecocks were without their top pass rusher when Kentucky started its first drive. The Wildcats picked up one first down, but punted three plays later from the Gamecock 45.
- On its next possession USC found pay dirt again. Mike Davis scored from 22 yards out to cap an 80 yard drive. The touchdown put USC up 14-0 with 6:36 left in the quarter.
- USC drive summary 10-80-4:18
- Kentucky started its next drive on its own 25. The Wildcats failed to move the chains and punted three plays later.
- USC was knocking on the door on its third possession as the quarter came to an end. The Gamecocks were on the four yard line with a first and goal.
FIRST QUARTER SCORE: USC 14, KENTUCKY 0