12th ranked USC is getting set for a rare non-conference road game this week. The Gamecocks will travel to Orlando to play UCF Saturday at noon. Carolina is 2-1, UCF is 3-0. Both teams are coming off a bye week. The Gamecocks beat Vanderbilt their last time out, and the Golden Knights picked up a win at Penn State, its first ever victory over a Big Ten school.
Here are a few highlights from Steve Spurrier’s press conference today:
- Spurrier began his presser by sending his condolences to Paul Dietzel, who passed away Tuesday.
- Spurrier says he knows they will get UCF’s best shot. He called it a “huge game” for both teams. Also expects lots of Gamecock fans to be there.
- Spurrier said it is going to be a hot day in Orlando Saturday so he told Clowney he better be in shape. (rim shot)
- Spurrier says they don’t overlook anybody and that they prepare the same for everyone. He said last year they prepared for Wofford the same as Clemson.
- Spurrier noted they worked on special teams during the bye week. He also pointed out the best two special teams this year have involved the other team dropping the ball on punts.
- Spurrier said UCF is sky high after win over Penn State. He added; “We’re going to be ready to play too.”
- Spurrier isn’t surprised UCF is doing well b/c there are plenty of athletes in Florida. He is more surprised South Florida is struggling.
- Spurrier says he gets “a little extra kick” going into Florida for a game because he coached so many games in that state.
You can hear a portion of Spurrier’s comments below: