Clemson coach Dabo Swinney had plenty on his plate to discuss Sunday afternoon in his weekly teleconference with reporters.
He reviewed the win over NC State, updated injuries from the game as well as Carlos Watkins’ situation following his car accident Saturday night, and he announce the status of offensive tackles Isaiah Battle who was ejected from the State game after throwing a punch.
Here are key comments from Swinney’s conference call:
- Vic Beasley on defense, Tyler Shatley on offense the players of the game.
- Concern about execution on offense on some simple things but all correctable. Cantanzaro was special teams player of the game.
- LB Kellen Jones confirmed with torn ACL and lost for the season.
- Carlos Watkins is OK from a serious car wreck Saturday night. Hopes he will be back at Clemson Monday. “Really tough situation for him.”
- Talked to Watkins today and he’s doing fine. Watkins was trapped in his car for over to hours. He’s doing fine from an injury standpoint.
- There will be consequences for Battle. “A total embarrassment for this program.” He was immediately remorseful.
- Battle will sit out the Wake Forest game and will be disciplined in practice each day this week.
- Doesn’t matter now what the film shows about Underwood being in bounds or out of bounds. “Maybe he missed it completely, maybe he was in.”
- Timothy had a concussion at NC State. He didn’t come clean about it until later in the game. Not sure about his status for this week.
- Shaq Anthony would replace Timothy. Beasley is OK.
Clemson hosts Wake Forest Saturday with kickoff at 3:30 PM on ESPNU.