Here is your quick recap of the 2nd quarter of Clemson and NC State:
- Clemson started the second quarter with a 2nd and 11 from the 23 of NC State. Tajh Boyd threw two incomplete passes and Chandler Catanzaro came on for the field goal attempt. A false start penalty backed it up five yards, but it didn’t matter. CatMan hi the 45 yard field goal to extend Clemson lead to 6-0 with 14:46 left in the half.
- 14 plays, 66 yards, 3:50 off the clock.
- NC State started its next drive on its own eight yard line after a poor kickoff return. NC State didn’t let the poor field position deter them. The Pack put together a 92 yard drive that resulted in a touchdown. The drive was capped by Shadrach Thorton. The score put NC State up 7-6 with 11:03 left in the half.
- NC State drive summary: 7-92, 3:37
- After the touchback Clemson took over on its own 25. Clemson moved the ball to the NC State 38 before they were forced to punt on a 4th and three.
- NC State took over on its own 20 after the pooch punt by Catanzaro ended up in the end zone. The Clemson defense forced a huge three and out and the Wolfpack punted.
- Clemson took over on its own 44. The Tigers looked shaky again and went three and out and punted.
- NC State picked up a dead ball personal foul on the punt return. That pushed them back to their own 13 yard line to start their next drive. The Wolfpack went nowhere and ended up punting three plays later.
- Clemson took over on its own 44 after the 42 yard punt. This time the Tigers took advantage of the good field position. The Tigers went 56 yards for the touchdown, capped by an 11 yard pass from Tajh Boyd to Sam Cooper for the score. That made the score 13-7 Clemson with 2:23 left in the half.
- Drive summary: 8- 56-2:47
- NC State started its next drive on its own 23. On first down Pete Thomas completed a 33 yard pass to the Clemson 44. The Pack followed that big play up with two five yard penalties that derailed things. The Wolfpack ended up losing 21 yards on the next three plays. The hail mary attempt at the end of the half failed.
HALFTIME SCORE: CLEMSON 13, NC STATE 7