Here is the quick recap of the first quarter of Clemson-NC State in Raleigh:
- NC State won the toss and deferred until the second half to Clemson received to start the game.
- After a touchback on the kickoff Clemson took over on its own 25. After a couple of runs by Tajh Boyd for a first down, the Tigers moved the ball into NC State territory by converting a 3rdand 16 play. The Tigers were facing another third and long from the Pack 21 when Tajh Boyd was sacked for an 11 yard loss. Chandler Catanzaro came on and hit a 49 yard field goal to give the Tigers a 3-0 lead with 9:58.
- Clemson drive summary: 14 plays, 43 yards, 5:02
- NC State started its first drive on its own 32. The Pack drove the Clemson 42 before things stalled out and they ended up punting. The turning point in the drive was a long run by flanker Bryan Underwood that was called back because he stepped out of bounds. The ball would have been inside the Tigers 20 had the play stood.
- NC State downed the punt on the Clemson 10 yard line. The Tigers picked up one first down, but were backed up with a holding call on the next series and went backwards from there. They punted on 4th and 21 from their own nine.
- NC State took over on the 49 after the punt. The Pack was unable to do anything with the good field position and punted on 4thand three. They did get off a good punt and downed it inside the Tigers 10 yard line.
- Clemson took over on its own six yard line. Clemson moved the ball to the NC State 22 and was facing a second down and 10 went the quarter ended.
FIRST QUARTER SCORE: Clemson 3, NC State 0