His offense put up nearly 600 yards, his defense held Vanderbilt to less than 300 yards, so it’s the special teams that weighed heavily on Steve Spurrier’s mind Sunday during his weekly conference call.
Here are some of the key comments from Spurrier:
- No serious injuries, Mike Davis is fine.
- Need to work on tackling the interceptor after Vandy had a big return against them last night.
- Happy to get the win and probably needs a week off.
- Has to have players on special teams who run the field, gets hands on blockers and make tackles.
- Will look at personnel on special teams and challenge them to do a better job.
- On Clowney’s bone spur, had they known he had a problem he would have had surgery in the off season. Victor Hampton has a bone spur as well.
- Third down defense has improved but need to work on the fourth down defense.
The Gamecocks are off this week. They will practice Monday thru Friday before taking the weekend off.