- USC won the toss and deferred to the second half.
- The USC defense forced a three and out on Vandy’s first possession. Chaz Sutton had a sack on third down.
- After the punt, USC took over on the Vanderbilt 42. The Gamecocks took its opening possession 42 yards in 6 plays in 2:37 and scored a touchdown on a 12 yard pass from Connor Shaw to Nick Jones. That made the score 7-0 Gamecocks with 10:50 to play in the half.
- Vanderbilt picked up a first down on its next possession, but still ended up punting from its on 46 on its next series.
- Bruce Ellington caught the punt inside the Gamecock ten yard line and was pummeled immediately. The Gamecocks took over on their own seven. USC proceeded to put together a 93 yard touchdown drive that was capped by a four yard run for pay dirt by Mike Davis. That made the score 14-0 Gamecocks with 4:43 left in the first quarter.
- USC drive summary: 11 plays, 93 yards, 3:58 off the clock.
- Vanderbilt went three and out on its next possession and punted it back to USC.
- After the punt, USC took over on its own 24. Dylan Thompson came in at quarterback and put together a solid drive, completing all four of his passes and capping things with a three yard touchdown pass to put the Gamecocks up 21-0 with :32 left in the quarter.
- 8-76, 2:36 seconds.
FIRST QUARTER SCORE: USC 21, VANDERBILT 0.