The #3 Clemson football team is off this week and has some extra time to get ready for its ACC opener at N.C. State a week from Thursday. Tigers coach Dabo Swinney jumped on a conference call Monday morning to update his team. We have that call for you below along with a few of the highlights:
- Swinney says he was pleased with the progress his team made in the second game of the season against a outmanned S.C. State team. He said the team fed of the energy the defense provided.
- Swinney was impressed with the second team offensive line’s play. He said no one is going to take a starting job, but the gap between the first and second team O-line is not as big as some people may think.
- Swinney was asked about flashing the “U” sign at his postgame press conference Saturday as he referenced Miami’s win over Florida in terms of what it means for the ACC. Swinney said winning those types of games are big for the conference.
- Swinney said it is too early to worry about being ranked third in the country. He said there is a lot of football to play and all the current ranking means is that they have a better starting spot than in years past.
- Running back Rod McDowell suffered a concussion in the win over S.C. State. They are playing it safe with him, but he is expected to be back in time for the game against N.C. State.
- Swinney said reserve quarterback Chad Kelly only had a minor calf injury and should be back at practice this week.