USC coach Steve Spurrier has Georgia on his mind, so much so he had Willie Nelson’s “Georgia On My Mind” playing during his Gamecock’s warmup exercises prior to Monday’s practice. The 6th ranked Gamecocks invade Sanford Stadium Saturday afternoon seeking to extend their winning streak in the series to four.
The Gamecocks are 1-0 after a victory over North Carolina. The Bulldogs are 0-1 following a loss to Clemson. This will be the 66th meeting in the series. Georgia is USC’s second most frequent opponent behind Clemson. The Bulldogs lead the series 46-17-2 but USC has taken four of the last six decisions. Spurrier is 15-5 all time against the Dogs including a 4-4 mark at USC.
Some key comments from Spurrier’s presser:
- Rory Anderson is ready to play and Bruce Ellington is 100%.
- Spurrier said he doesn’t get the hate from the Georgia fans that he use to get. Said it’s hard for Georgia to get mad at SC.
- Spurrier points out the winner of this game the last two years did not make it to SEC title game.
- Said the offensive line play vs UNC was OK. Shaw may have run out of the pocket too early a few times.
- Spurrier said he expects Shaw to play well, and Thompson needs to play a little bit.
- Gurley got a game ball from last week, led team in tackles.
- Spurrier hopes for progress in the passing game, said they weren’t really all that bad last week.
- Cody Waldrop has a sprained foot and is in a wait and see situation. Clayton Stadnick is the replacement.
- Spurrier said they haven’t talked about making it four in a row over Georgia, just talked about their goals and trying to beat Georgia.
- Spurrier thought Georgia’s young defensive players played pretty well at Clemson.
- Spurrier said he hopes Clowney will come out ready to play. Said he knows now the camera is always on him. Said heat affected him vs UNC.
Saturday’s game will kickoff at 4:30 PM and will be televised on ESPN. Georgia currently is a three point favorite.