Here is your quickie recap of the 2nd quarter of the USC-UNC game at Williams-Brice Stadium:
- North Carolina started the second quarter with the ball on its own 28 and facing a 2nd and 12. The Tar Heels put together their best drive of the game, driving 70 yards for their first score of the game. It was Gaffney product Quinshad Davis who caught the four yard TD pass from Bryn Renner to make it 17-7 with 9:35 to play in the half.
- Drive summary: 16-70-6:09
- USC went three-and-out on its next possession and was forced to punt. After the score it looked like North Carolina had a sliver of momentum in their favor. That went away fast though. One the ensuing punt the Tar Heels muffed it and USC recovered on the Heels 45.
- USC wasn’t able to do anything with the gift though and punted after picking up just one first down.
- After the punt North Carolina took over on its own 7. USC forced them to punt three plays later.
- After the punt USC took over on the North Carolina 48. The Gamecocks moved it inside the Tar Heels 10 yard line until they stalled on the seven. They settled for a 29 yard field goal by Elliott Fry. That made it 20-7 with 1:32 left in the half.
- USC drive Summary: USC’s drive was 7 plays, 43 yards and took 3:35 seconds.
HALFTIME SCORE: USC: 20, UNC: 7