Here is your quickie recap of the 1st quarter of the USC-UNC game at Williams-Brice:
- USC took the opening kickoff and didn’t waste any time finding the end zone. After two runs by Mike Davis for a first down, Connor Shaw went play action and hit Shaq Roland for 65 yard touchdown to pu the Gamecocks up 7-0 with 13:41.
- Drive summary: 3 plays, 82 yards, 1:19 off the clock.
- North Carolina started on the 35 on its first drive after the kickoff went out of bounds. The moved the ball just over the 50 before they ended up punting.
- After the punt USC took over on its own 20. The Gamecocks drove into Tar Heel territory again with a key play coming on an eight yard run by Brandon Wilds on a 4th and two play. The Gamecocks stalled on the 22 and ended up settling for a 39 yard field goal by Elliot Fry. That put USC up 10-0 with 4:53 to play.
- Drive summary: 13plays, 58 yards, 6:16 off the clock.
- North Carolina went three and out on its next possession and punted.
- USC went on the move again. It didn’t take them long to get back in to North Carolina’s side of the field and with the ball sitting on the 29 with a 1st and 10, Steve Spurrier opted to put Dylan Thompson in the game for the first time. Thompson’s first play was a 29 yard touchdown pass to walk-on wide receiver Kane Whitehurst. That made is 17-0 with :44 to play in the quarter.
- Drive summary: 7 plays, 63 yards, 3:17 off the clock.
FIRST QUARTER SCORE: USC: 17, UNC: 0