Clemson coach Dabo Swinney held his first regular season press conference Tuesday leading up to Saturday night’s game with Georgia at Death Valley. The Tigers will go into the game with a national ranking of eight, three spots back of the Bulldogs.
Georgia has won the last five games in the series. The last meeting was as 30-0 Bulldog win at Clemson in 2003. Clemson’s last victory was a 34-3 decision in 1990 in Death Valley. Georgia leads the series 41-17-4 but at Clemson each has won nine times with two ties.
This will be the 12th time Clemson has opened the season against a ranked opponent. The Tigers are 4-7 in those games including a win over 25th ranked Auburn last year in Atlanta. The Tigers have won 22 of their last 28 season openers overall.
This will be the first time in Georgia’s history that as a top ten team it is opening the season against another top ten team. The Bulldogs have won 10 of their 12 season openers under Mark Richt losing to 9th ranked Oklahoma State in 2009 and 5th ranked Boise State in 2011.
Highlights from Swinney’s press conference:
- UGA will put a very good defense on the field.
- Hopes Clemson will be better on defense this season.
- They have a lot to prove as a football team.
- Fans will start rolling in tomorrow “just to smell the campus.”
- Thought he was going to sign Gurley and Marshall. Said he loves both of those guys.
- Mark Richt called him the day Gurley announced and he knew then Gurley was going to Georgia.
- ACC is getting stronger by the day and called USC one of the best teams in the country.
- Chad Kelly is ready to play and will be third QB and has been cleared by medical staff.
- Hard to blitz Murray so pressure from front four will be crucial.
- Walkons RB CJ Thompson and DB Taylor Watson have earned scholarships.
- Feels better about secondary because they are healthy and more experienced.
Saturday night’s game will kickoff around 8:21 and will be televised by ABC. Georgia is a two point favorite.