There were some raised eyebrows last night when North Carolina coach Mike Fox started going back to some of his top pitchers who already had accumulated some high pitch totals over the course of the weekend. Fox made it clear after the 13 inning marathon that he didn’t regret how he handled his staff.
“We feel like we owe it to our team, you know, to put the best guys out there to try to win the most important game of the season, to try to advance,” Tar Heels coach Mike Fox said. ” All these guys come to us and say to us obviously and say ‘I’ve got an inning or I’ve batter’ and, you know, that’s what some of them got. So, they are competitors and they want to go out. I will stand by our reputation. I don’t think we put any of them at risk.”
Here is a breakdown of how Fox used his top four pitchers during the Chapel Hill Regional. We’ve also included a breakdown of how much work USC’s top pitchers got during the Columbia Regional. There is no doubt USC’ has a more rested staff. The question is if it will be a factor this weekend in Chapel Hill.
Here are the numbers:
North Carolina staff:
Benton Moss, SP:
- Started Friday night’s game and pitched 4 1/3 innings and threw 90 pitches.
- Pitched 1/3 of inning in relief in Monday night’s extra inning win and threw 5 pitches.
Totals: Two appearances, 5 2/3 innings 95 pitches.
Kent Emanuel, SP:
- Started against Towson Saturday and pitched 7 2/3 innings and threw 124 pitches.
- Pitched 1 2/3 inning in relief in Monday night’s extra inning win and threw 51 pitches.
Totals: two appearances, 9 1/3 innings 175 pitches
Hobbs Johnson, SP
- Started Sunday and pitched 6 innings and threw 89 pitches.
- Entered in relief Monday night and didn’t record an out and threw 6 pitches
Totals: Two appearances, six innings, 95 pitches
Chris McCue, RP
- Pitched 2 2/3 inning of relief Friday night and threw 47 pitches.
- Pitched 1 2/3 innings of relief Sunday night and threw 24 pitches.
- Pitched 3 2/3 inning of relief Monday night and threw 44 pitches.
Totals: Three appearances, 7 innings, 115 pitches.
Trent Thornton, RP:
- Pitched 2 innings of relief Friday and threw 38 pitches.
- Pitched 1 1/3 innings of relief Saturday and threw 18 pitches.
- Pitched 4 inning of relief Monday and threw 46 pitches.
Totals: Three appearances, 6 1/3 innings, 102 pitches
Nolan Belcher, SP:
Started Friday night and pitched 6 1/3 innings and threw 93 pitches. That was his only appearance.
Jordan Montgomery, SP:
Started Saturday night and pitched 7 innings and threw 90 pitches. That was his only appearance
Jack Wyncoop, SP:
Started Sunday night and pitched 4 innings and threw 61 pitches. That was his only appearance.
Adam Westmoreland, RP:
- Pitched 2/3 of an inning Friday night and threw 11 pitches.
- Pitched 2 1/3 innings Monday and threw 36 pitches.
Totals: Two appearances, 3 innings, and 46 pitches
Tyler Webb, RP
- Pitched 2 innings Friday night and threw 37 pitches.
- Pitched 1 1/3 innings Monday and threw 32 pitches.
Totals: Two appearances, 3 1/3 innings, 69 pitches.