USC defensive end Jadeveon Clowney talked to local media today for the first time since the Gamecocks’ Outback Bowl win three months ago. Here’s a shocker: He confirmed he is actually going to play this season and not sit out and rest on his laurels to avoid injury before the NFL draft. He said he never gave that serious thought other than kidding with his friends about it.
Other items of note from Clowney:
- He confirmed he ran a 4.54 40 recently.
- He said he weighs 273 pounds now, up from the 260 he weighed last year.
- He said has obtained a 5 million dollar insurance policy from the NCAA.
- He said he has been surprised by all the national attention he’s received, but said he can handle it.
- He said he wants to get more sacks next season. He said he wants to break Derrick Thomas’ sack record next season. Thomas had 27 that year.
Take a listen to all of Clowney’s comments below: