Clemson roared right back in the second quarter against NC State. The Tigers started the quarter down 21-13 and finished it with a 41-24 lead. Not bad, eh? Here’s how they did it:
- The second quarter started with NC State facing a third-and-four on the Clemson 14. They were stopped and settled for a field goal. The 32 yarder extended the Pack lead to 24-13 with 14:17 left in 2nd quarter.
- NC State scoring drive summary: 5-19 1:24
- Clemson’s offense answered on its next possession. The Tigers drove 78 yards for a touchdown that was capped with an eight yard pass from Tajh Boyd to Brandon Ford. That cut the lead to 24-19 with 12:52 left. Dabo Swinney elected to go for two and the conversion failed.
- Clemson scoring drive summary: 8-78-1:21
- NC State got a big return on the ensuing kickoff and started its drive on the 50. The Wolfpack didn’t take advantage of the good field position though. They ended up turning the ball over on downs after being stuffed on a 4th-and-one play.
- Clemson reclaimed the lead four plays later on a 28 yard touchdown pass from Tajh Boyd to Sammy Watkins. That made it 25-24 Tigers. Swinney again went for two and this time the Tigers converted on a pass to Brandon Ford. That gave Clemson a 26-24 lead with 10:28 left in the quarter.
- Clemson scoring drive summary: 4 plays, 59 yards in 33seconds
- NC State moved into Clemson territory on its next possession, but the Wolfpack didn’t come away wth any points. They punted from the Tigers 40.
- After the punt, Clemson took over on its own 11. The Tigers moved the ball to their own 44 before the punted it back to the Pack.
- After a holding penalty on the return, NC State started its next drive on its own 8. The Wolfpack converted three third-and-long plays and moved the ball inside the Clemson ten yard line with a first and goal situation. The Tigers ended the threat when Rashard Hall intercepted Mike Glennon’s pass on second down to end the threat.
- Clemson made the Wolfpack pay for the turnover. Tajh Boyd connected with Nuk Hopkins for a 62 yard touchdown pass to extend the Tigers lead to 34-24 with 2:22 left in the half.
- Clemson scoring drive summary: Five plays, 80 yards, 1:23 off the clock.
- NC State gave it back to Clemson again on its next possession. Mike Glennon fumbled and it was recovered by Corey Crawford in the NC State 32 yard line.
- It only took the Tigers four plays to score again. Tajh Boyd ran it in from nine yards out to put the Tigers up 41-24 with 1:14 left in the half. It was Boyd’s second rushing score of the game.
- Clemson scoring drive: 4-32-:53
HALFTIME SCORE: Clemson 41-24