NC State went three and out on its first two possessions and then scored touchdowns on each of its next three. That quickly erased Clemson’s early 13-0 lead and put the Wolfpack in control after one quarter at Death Valley. Here is the recap:
- Clemson received to start the game. The Tigers drove to the NC State 29 yard line before they stalled out. Chandler Catanzaro came on and hit a 46 yard field goal to give the Tigers a 3-0 lead with 12:56 left in the quarter.
- Clemson scoring drive summary: 9 plays yards, 2:04 off the clock.
- NC State went three-and-out on its first possession of the game and punted from its own 31 yard line.
- After the punt Clemson reclaimed possession on its own 34. The Tigers turned the possession into a touchdown. The drive was capped by a four yard run by quarterback Tajh Boyd. That score put Clemson up 10-0 with 9:54 left in the first quarter.
- Clemson scoring drive summary: 9-66-2:21
- The Wolfpack again went three-and-out on its next possession.
- After the NC State punt they Tigers took over on their own 49 yard line. Clemson moved the ball to the NC State 26 yard line, but the drive stalled there. Catanzaro connected on a 43 yard field goal to extend the Tigers lead to 13-0 with 7:31 to play.
- Clemson scoring drive summary: 5 plays, 25 yards in 1:19
- NC State sprang to life on its next possession. On first down Mike Glennon hit Tobais Palmer for a 77 yard touchdown pass. That cut the lead to 13-7.
- NC State scoring drive: 1-77-:18 off the clock.
- Clemson went three and out on its next possession and punted for the first time of the game.
- After the punt, NC State took over on the Clemson 49 yard line. The Wolfpack used the quick strike again with Glennon finding Palmer for another score on first down. It was a 49 yard completion. That gave NC State 14-13 lead with 6:19 left in the quarter.
- NC State scoring drive: 1 play, 49 yards, :9 off the clock.
- Clemson started the next drive on its own 25. The Tigers picked up one first down, but punted three plays later from its own 42.
- NC State stayed hot on its next drive. This time it took the Wolfpack nine plays to go 81 yards, but the result was another touchdown. Glennon tossed an 18 yard touchdown pass to Rashard Smith. The score put the Pack up 21-13 with 1:36 left in the quarter.
- NC State scoring drive: 9-81-2:49
- On Clemson’s next drive Tajh Boyd intercepted by NC State on a third down play The Wolfpack returned it 36 yards to start its next drive on Clemson 34.
- As the quarter ended NC State was on the Clemson 14 yard line facing a third and four.
FIRST QUARTER SCORE: NC State 21-13