There isn’t much doubt about how this one is going to turn out after three. USC did about everything right in the third quarter to take full control of the game against Arkansas. Here’s how it happened:
- USC opened the second half with the ball. The Gamecocks drove to the Arkansas 23 before the drive stalled. From there Adam Yates connected on a 41 yard field goal to put the Gamecocks up 24-10 with 11:20 left in the third.
- USC scoring drive summary 9-52-3:40
- Arkansas committed its second turnover of the game on its next possession. This time it was especially costly. D.J. Swearinger intercepted a Tyler Wilson pass and returned it 69 yards for a touchdown. That score put the Gamecocks up 31-10.
- Arkansas put together a solid drive on its next possession, but they couldn’t punch it in for a touchdown. The Gamecock defense stuffed them inside the ten and the Razorbacks settled for a 21 yard field goal to cut the score to 31-13 with 5:48 left in the quarter.
- Arkansas scoring drive summary: 12 plays, 71 yards in 4:53
- USC responded with a 74 yard touchdown drive on its next possession. Mike Davis capped the drive with a three yard touchdown to extend the Gamecocks lead to 38-13 with 2:19 left in the quarter.
- USC scoring drive summary: 8 plays, 74 yards in 3:29
- Arkansas went three-and-out and punted on its next possession.
- USC took over on the Razorbacks 49 yard line after the punt and had the ball on the Arky 46 as the quarter ended.
THIRD QUARTER SCORE: USC, 38-13