USC extended its lead over Arkasnas in the second quarter. Here are the highlights:
- Arkansas began the second quarter with the ball near midfield. The Razorbacks drove inside the Gamecocks ten yard line, but turned it over on a fumble. They lost the ball trying to convert a third-and-one on the Gamecocks six.
- USC took over on its own five yard line. The Gamecocks went nowhere on the possession, in fact they went backward and ended up punting from their own three.
- After the punt, Arkansas took over on the 50. This time the Razorbacks would capitalize and finish the drive with a touchdown. Tyler Wilson completed a six yard touchdown pass to Keon Hatcher on third-and-goal to tie the score at 7 with 8:12 left in the half.
- Arkansas scoring drive: 6 plays, 50 yards, 1:49
- USC started its next possession on its own 30 yard line. The Gamecocks moved deep into Arkansas territory courtesy of a long pass to Bruce Ellington and a personal foul penalty that tacked 15 yards to the end of the play. When the dust settled the Gamecocks had a first down on the Hogs 15. Three plays later Connor Shaw scrambled into the end zone from 10 yards out for a touchdown. Following the extra point the Gamecocks led 14-7 with 5:28 left in the half.
- USC scoring drive: : 6 plays, 75 yards in 2:44
- Arkansas put together another solid drive on its next possession. The Razorbacks moved inside the Gamecocks five yard line, but they were unable to punch it in. They settled for a 20 yard field goal to cut the USC lead to 14-10 with 3:28 left in the half.
- Arkansas scoring drive: 6 plays, 72 yards in 1:56
- On its next possession USC faced a 4th-and-five on the Arkansas 42 yard line. Steve Spurrier opted to go for it and it paid off. Connor Shaw hit a wide open Bruce Ellington for a 42 yard touchdown pass to put USC up 21-10 with 1:30 left in the half.
- USC scoring drive summary: 6 plays, 75 yards in 1:58
- Arkansas was unable to get into scoring position on its final possession of the half.
Halftime score: USC, 21-10