Here are some of the highlights from Clemson coach Dabo Swinney’s Sunday teleconference:
- Swinney said it was a very tough, physical football game. Said they did just enough on offense to win the game.
- Offensively Swinney said they had too many three and outs. He didn’t like the tempo.
- Swinney said they still haven’t put together all three phases of the game.
- Players of the game at Virginia Tech were Corico Hawkins on special teams, Andre Branch on defense and Dalton Freeman on offense.
- On being ranked 8th in both major polls: “Ask me in December….you can fall a lot faster than you can rise.” Swinney sounded like he was guarding against overconfidence from his team. He mentioned that everyone is on the bandwagon now.
- Swinney said they had an unbelievable reception when they returned to Clemson early this morning. He said there were at least 1,000 people there to greet them about 2:30 in the morning. He said he is thankful and humbled.
- Spencer Benton does not look good with a shoulder injury. Not sure when he will be back.
- Swinney said he never doubted they could be a good team. He said he thought they could be good last year. They didn’t get the results he wanted last year, but he knew they were making progress.
- Swinney said they don’t have time to reflect on what they’ve done to this point…that Boston College has given them fits in the past.