USC coach Steve Spurrier spoke with the media Sunday for about 15 minutes reviewing Saturday’s win at Georgia and previewing this Saturday’s home opener against Navy. The Midshipmen are off to a 2-0 start with wins over Delaware and Western Kentucky. They are averaging 40 points per game and 400 yards per game rushing.
Here are some of Spurrier’s quotes from his teleconference:
- Georgia out played us in most areas of the game.
- We got a lot of work to do. Not a very good team right now. Passing teams are going up and down the field
- Shon Carson has knee injury. Out for a while. Not sure if he will need surgery.
- Akeem Auguste banged up his foot some.
- Had some plays for other receivers but couldn’t hit them. Georgia had a good scheme.
- You watch the tape you realize how fortunate we are to have won the game.
- Special teams play not as good as it was in first game.
- We’re struggling a bit on defense. Hopefully it’s fixable.
- When you play Navy, you know their guys are going to play as hard as they can. You’ve got to beat them. They don’t beat themselves.
- It’s embarrassing we had a player running in front of Stephon waiving his finger in the air.
- Georgia’s receivers looked better than ours. We’re not near as good as some of you people painted us before the season.
- We’re a running team, no question about that.
- Until we start playing like those big teams play, we’re going to struggle.