The Clemson Tigers have a 1 in 947 chance of winning the Final Four and being crowned 2011 NCAA National Champions.
This statement can only be made after solving the Pythagorean calculation for expected winning percentage. What?? A man named Ken Pomeroy has not only created a formula to predict who will win basketball games, but it’s accurate.
Pomeroy has been rating teams and percentages for the NCAA Tournament since 2003. He has accurately predicted the National Champion 5 of 8 years. He has accurately predicted two or more Final Four teams 7 of 8 years.
In 2011 Pomeroy has made the following predictions in regard to Clemson’s NCAA tournament percentages:
- 30.9% chance of playing/beating West Virginia
- 11.3% chance of reaching the Sweet 16
- 2.6% chance of reaching the Elite 8
- 1.1% chance of reaching the Final 4
- 0.3% chance of reaching Championship Game
- 1 in 947 chance of being crowned National Champion
If you want to read more, including Pomeroy’s entire 2011 predictions, go to www.kenpom.com