Here is the scoring recap and the highlights from the second quarter of the SEC Championship matchup between USC and Auburn:
- The second quarter opens with an exchange of turnovers and Auburn’s first punt. The Gamecocks finally get Cam Newton on the ground and force him to fumble which they recover at the Auburn 34. But Stephen Garcia throws an interception on the second play. Auburn can do nothing on the possession and punts back to USC.
- The Gamecocks do mount a drive on the possession and reach the Auburn 29. But the Tigers sack Garcia on third down and Spencer Lanning is wide left on a 51 yard field goal attempt. Marcus Lattimore did have runs of 12 and 11 yards on the drive, the first time he’s found running room.
- Auburn comes right back down the field and drives to the USC 14, but the Gamecock defense gets a stop and Wes Byrum hits the right upright on a 36 yard field goal attempt.
- The Gamecocks take advantage of that break to get back in the game with an 80 yard, 9 play drive capped by a Garcia to Alshon Jeffery one yard pass. Garcia hit Lattimore with a third down 26 yard pass to the one to set up the score. With :16 left in the half, Auburn leads 21-14.
- Auburn did not just run out the clock. The Tigers got in position for a shot in the end zone and Newton’s prayer was answered on the last play as pass into the end zone was deflected by the Gamecocks Devonte Holloman into the hands of Darvin Adams for a 51 yard score. Halftime score…Auburn 28-USC 14
- Newton was 13-22 for 281 yards and 3 touchdowns in the first half.
- Adams had 7 catches for 217 yards and 2 touchdowns in the first half.
- Garcia was 12-20 for 140 yards and 2 touchdowns in the first half.
- Auburn had 348 yards in the half to USC’s 196.