USC coach Steve Spurrier didn’t spend a whole lot of time bragging about his team’s best offensive performance since he took over the program. The Head Ball Coach spent as much time talking about the next two weeks than he did the Gamecocks 69-24 pounding of Troy.
Spurrier may not have talked about it, but it is worth noting a few of the noteworthy marks he and the Gamecocks hit Saturday.
- The Gamecocks previous high scoring game in the Spurrier era was the 52 it hung on Middle Tennessee State in 2006. Carolina eclipsed that mark by halftime against Troy.
- The 69 points scored are the fifth most in school history. It is USC’s highest offensive output since it scored 77 against Kent State in 1995.
- Spurrier now has 43 career wins at USC, moving him past Paul Dietzel for third all-time in school history.
- Spurrier is now 41-0 against non-BCS automatic qualifying teams.
- USC now has eight wins for just the 10th time in school history. It’s the fourth time the Gamecocks have done it since 2000. They have only won more than eight twice, 10 in 1984 and nine in 2001.