Steve Spurrier and USC made things interesting Saturday against Tennessee, but in the end the Gamecocks grabbed a win to keep their SEC East title hopes alive. Spurrier and the Gamecocks will face Arkansas at 7:00 in Columbia next Saturday.
A few notes following the Gamecocks win over the Vols:
- The Gamecocks are 6-2 and 4-2 in the SEC. Carolina is bowl eligible again, that marks seven straight years the team has won six or more games.
- Marcus Lattimore didn’t show any ill-effects from his injury against Kentucky two weeks ago. After sitting out last week the freshman out of Byrnes high carried the ball 29 times for 187 yards. He scored one touchdown. Lattimore has rushed for 722 yards this season and needs just 122 more to pass Thomas Dendy (1982) for the most by a Gamecock freshman.
- Lattimore has 13 touchdowns this season, that ties the freshman record held by Sidney Rice.
- Stephen Garcia finished the game 13-22 for 223 yards with one touchdown and one interception.
- WR Alshon Jeffery scored on a 70 yard touchdown catch in the fourth quarter. He has scored in five of USC’s eight games this season.
- USC forced four turnovers on the day. The defense recovered two fumbles and defensive end Devin Taylor scored on a 24 yard interception return. Tennessee also muffed a punt that was recovered by USC.
- The Gamecock secondary gave up 312 yards in passing. Tennessee wide receiver Denarius Moore caught six passes for 228 yards and one touchdown.