USC completed the trifecta for the 2010 calendar year. First, Kentucky in basketball, then Arizona State in baseball, and now the no. 1 Tide fall to the Gamecocks 35-21 at Williams-Brice Stadium tonight. The USC football team has never defeated a no. 1 ranked football team until today. Garcia had one of his best games in the garnet and black going 17-20 for 201 yards and three touchdowns with one interception. Marcus Lattimore rushed for 95 yards on 23 carries and put two in the end zone. Alshon Jeffrey caught 7 balls for 127 yards and another two scores.
The defense held Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram to 43 yards on 11 rushes. and Alabama totaled just 36 yards rushing in this one.
Click below for the quarter by quarter highlights
1st quarter highlights
- Alabama takes the opening kick down to the Gamecock 21 before the drive stalls. A 38-yard field goal caps 8 play, 54 yard drive. (4:28) 3-0 Bama
- Opening drive for USC starts at their own 37. Stephen Garcia goes 4 for 4 for 41 yards on the drive capped off by a nine yard touchdown pass to RB Marcus Lattimore. 7 plays, 63 yard drive. (3:12) 7-3 USC
- After Bama’s next possession bogged down, they gave it back to USC. The Gamecocks scored on a Garcia to Alshon Jeffery 26-yard TD pass giving the Gamcocks a 14-3 lead with .35 seconds remaining in the quarter. 7 plays, 63 yards. (3:08)
Garcia was 6-6 for 74 yards and two touchdowns. Lattimore had 28 rushing yards and four carries and 16 yards receiving.
2nd quarter highlights
- A sack by LB Antonio Allen caused a fumble recovered by DL Travian Robertson. The Gamecocks took the ball over on the Bama 43-yard line. Three plays later, Garcia found Jeffrey in the end zone for his third TD pass of the game and Jeffrey’s second. 3 plays, 43 yards (1:00) 21-3 Gamecocks
- After USC punted for the first time, Bama took over on the Gamecock 40 yard line. On 3rd and 8 from the 9, QB Greg McElroy hit WR Julio Jones for a touchdown. Extra point failed. 7 plays, 41 yards. (1:19) 21-9 USC
In the first half, Bama has 38 plays from scrimmage to USC’s 22. Garcia did not throw an incompletion and was 9-9 for 94 yards a three touchdowns. Lattimore had 9 carries for 47 yards averaging 5.2 yards per carry.
3rd quarter highlights
- The first play of the third quarter from scrimmage, a bad snap over Garcia’s head and he threw it out of the back of the end zone for a safety. 21-11 USC
- Bama started out on their own 41. A 39-yard field goal brought the Tide to within 7. 9 plays 30 yards. (5:12) USC 21-14
- Lattimore was dinged up on the beginning of this drive leading to Senior RB Brian Maddox with on the most important drives in his career. He filled in admirably including an 18-yard jaunt down to the Tide 12-yard line. Lattimore returned and finished it up with a one yard touchdown run on an option play. 15 plays, 82 yards. ( 7:55) 28-14 Gamecocks
Garcia through 3 quarters was 14-15 for 133 yards anf 3 TDs. Lattimore had 61 yards on 12 carries and 2 TDs.
4th quarter highlights
- Once again, Bama scores on the first play of the quarter tossing a 51-yard TD from McElroy to WR Darious Haynes. 4 plays 85 yards (1:51) 28-21 USC
- With 14:51 remaining in the game, the Gamecocks took over on their 20-yard-line. A third down pass by Garcia was bobbled by Jeffrey and intercepted by Alabama. The USC defense forced a 4th and long from the 26, as Bama lined up for a field goal. A fake attempt was snuffed out by the Gamecock Special Teams. 28-21 USC
- The Gamecocks went for the throat up on this drive up 7. Garcia picked up a 4th and inches in Gamecock territory. Alshon Jeffrey reeled in a fade pass with one hand and took it inside the Tide 10-yard-line. On 3rd and goal, Lattimore did the rest with a 1-yard TD scamper. 10 plays 74 yards (4:34) USC 35-21
- The Gamecock defense shut down from this point forward and the Gamecocks win. 35-21