The Weslye Saunders era at USC is officially over. On Wednesday afternoon the university announced Saunders is no longer with the team.
Below is the official release from USC:
University of South Carolina senior tight end Weslye Saunders has been dismissed from the football program, Athletics Director Eric Hyman announced today.
“Weslye Saunders is no longer part of our football program,” said Hyman. “Beyond that I will have no further comment.”
Saunders, a 6-5, 270-pounder from Durham, N.C., had been suspended indefinitely since August 23 following a violation of team rules.
Saunders has been in the headlines since the summer when he was linked to a sports agent. Saunders was later identified as one of the players allegedly receiving a reduced rate to stay at a downtown Columbia hotel, which would be considered an impermissible benefit.
Saunders was suspended indefinitely by Steve Spurrier prior to the Gamecocks season opener. Saunders reportedly lied to the Gamecock coaches about his whereabouts during a team meeting. He told the coaches he was meeting with NCAA investigators, which was not accurate.
USC is ranked 13th in the country and will play host Furman Saturday night in Columbia.