Eight new members were inducted into the South Carolina Athletic Hall of Fame during ceremonies Monday night at the Columbia Convention Center. The new inductees were:
- Robert Porcher, former SC State and Detroit Lions defensive end.
- Cotton Owens, NASCAR legend as a driver and crew chief.
- Sylvia Hatchell, former Francis Marion women’s basketball coach and now one of the nation’s most successful coaches in the country.
- Skip Harlicka, former USC basketball star under Frank McGuire.
- Jack Thompson, former USC basketball star under Frank McGuire.
- Ty Cline, All American baseball player at Clemson
- Bobby Giles, three sport coach at Olympia High School and a winner of seven state championships.
- Herman Helms, sports columnist and sports editor of The State newspaper.