The ACC Kickoff is next week in Charlotte, but Clemson coach Dabo Swinney was in front of the cameras and mics Tuesday at Clemson to give the local media in South Carolina a refresher course on his team for 2023.
Clemson has been the dominant force in the ACC for the better part of a decade, having won seven of the last eight championships. But there’s a growing feeling around the country that the Tigers will be strongly challenged this season by Florida State, or North Carolina, or Miami.
The Tigers open their season on Labor Day night at Duke.
Some key comments from Swinney:
- This is the best accountability his team has had in five or six years.
- The team is in pretty good shape health wise heading into fall camp.
- Tyler Venables had a procedure done on his hip yesterday. They are going to try and redshirt him if they can. He may be able to play late in the season.
- Wasn’t surprised by Will Taylor’s decision to focus solely on baseball. He says they talked about it a good bit.
- Believes DC Wes Goodwin is growing into his role. Says he’s got a bright future as a coach.