USC football coach Shane Beamer met with the media Thursday morning to update a few personnel matters and to take questions about the team two weeks before the start of spring practice. He does not expect DT Tonka Hemingway or OL Cason Henry to go through spring since both had recent minor surgery. DE Jordan Strachan and LB Mo Kaba, both coming off ACL injuries, will be limited in the spring as will nickelback David Spaulding.
Some other key comments from Beamer:
- The three players suspended last month remain suspended and he doesn’t anticipate any of them being back with them in the near future, it’s a University issue.
- Excited about the mid-year arrivals, also excited about the coaching staff, those who remain and the new ones, one of his staff members turned down an offer from another SEC East team this week.
- Been looking at his program and looking at the ways they can improve on everything compared to last season, can’t rely on what they did last season, workouts have been great.
- He and OC Dowell Loggains have had conversations about what they will do with the offense, looking to develop something that will fit the personnel.
- Two years in a row they have turned the ball over more than anyone else in the SEC and that’s embarrassing to him, they haven’t done a good enough job coaching that.
- First heard about the new proposals to speed up the game at an SEC coaches meeting in Birmingham a couple of weeks ago, in favor of anything that improves the fan experience and the safety of the game. Also good with talk of Texas and Oklahoma coming in a year early to the SEC.