For the second straight signing day, Clemson coach Dabo Swinney has gone into the NCAA Transfer Portal for quarterback insurance. Last year he brought back former Tiger Hunter Johnson from Northwestern. Wednesday the Tiger announced they have signed Paul Tyson (6-5 228) as a transfer from Arizona State.
Tyson is the great-grandson of Bear Bryant. He began his career at Alabama where he redshirted in 2020. He appeared in fivHeree games there in 2021 before transferring to Arizona State. He appeared in one game this season for the Sun Devils and did not attempt a pass.
Tyson gives the Tigers an older quarterback in the room, and he figures to fall in line behind starter Cade Klubnik and incoming freshman Christopher Vizzina.
Here’s more from Tyson’s bio:
- Appeared in 13 games with the Crimson Tide in 2021, backing up Heisman Trophy winner Bryce Young last season
- Completed 10-of-16 passes for 150 yards in limited action, showing flashes of elite arm strength
- Pocket passer who was rated as a consensus four-star prospect by the major outlets…The No. 9 pro-style quarterback and 17th-rated player from the state of Alabama by 247Sports…Ranked as the No. 12 pro-style signal-caller and 12th overall player in Alabama on the 247Composite…Rivals.com listed him as the No. 10 pro-style quarterback and No. 11 prospect in the state…The No. 295 player on the ESPN 300…Rated as the No. 14 pocket passer nationally and 13th-ranked prospect in Alabama by ESPN.com…A four-star prospect and a Top 350 All-American by PrepStar
- Finished his career at HTHS with a 19-5 record as a starter…Threw for more than 6,500 yards and 69 touchdowns with only 13 interceptions in his 24 games as a starter for the Huskies
- Completed 68.2 of his passes to rank second all-time in completion percentage in ASHAA history at the 7A level ..
- 2018 Elite 11 finalist…Selected to the Class 7A All-State first team in 2017 by the Alabama Sports Writers Association (ASWA)