Head coach Dabo Swinney met with the media, Tuesday, as Clemson prepares to dive back into ACC play against Louisville this weekend. Swinney fielded questions about where the staff may go from here regarding the quarterback position after D.J. Uiagalelei’s recent rash of turnovers following his outstanding start to the season.
For the time being, Uiagalelei remains the starter. Swinney said, “D.J. is still my guy, but he didn’t do enough Saturday. He needs to bounce back this weekend.”
Uiagalelei committed just two turnovers against 21 touchdowns (17 passing, 4 rushing) through Clemson’s first seven games. But Uiagalelei has been pulled each of the last two games thanks to three interceptions. It can be argued that the signs of a struggling pass attack have been there for a while, perhaps obscured by Clemson’s winning streak. The Tigers haven’t passed for 300 yards since the overtime victory at Wake Forest and haven’t produced a 100-yard receiver all season. Offensive coordinator Brandon Streeter has often leaned on Will Shipley and the running game, but all facets of the offense scuffled at Notre Dame as Clemson failed to score on nine consecutive drives while the Irish built an insurmountable lead. Klubnik’s limited experience (9 of 20 for 85 yards, 1 touchdown, 1 interception) may also be a factor in sticking with the more veteran Uiagalelei as Clemson tries to claim its eighth ACC title under Swinney.
Swinney pointed out that a lot of the team goals are still in front of them, “The state championship, conference championship and national championship are all still right there.”
Clemson (8-1, 6-0) will look to rebound against Louisville (6-3, 3-3) in front of the home crowd, Saturday. Kickoff from Death Valley is set for 3:30 p.m.
Key comments from Dabo Swinney
- Swinney put a positive spin on the loss at Notre Dame: The last time we lost a game, we went on a 14-game winning streak. Obviously that ended Saturday, but we have an opportunity to start a new one.
- On Louisville QB Malik Cunningham: He is elite at extending plays for Louisville, but he can also drop dimes on you if you hedge your bets against the run. Says the defense must have a short memory and address issues quickly if they hope to contain Cunningham this weekend.
- No explanation as to why the team came out with such little intensity for a big game, especially coming off a bye. Does say that must change ASAP if they don’t want to lose again this weekend.
- WR Beaux Collins is week to week, but out this Saturday against Louisville with a separated left shoulder.
- DE Xavier Thomas has been encouraging after his injury, keeping a positive mindset, handling the injury with maturity. No decision yet as to whether he wants to redshirt or move on to the NFL.
1 thought on “Talking Tuesday: Swinney confirms Uiagalelei still QB1 at #Clemson (AUDIO)”
Sounds like somebody has promised somebody something and no matter how obvious it is, somebody is going to have to keep somebody where they are even if it means not winning.