Coming off a successful first season which included a win over North Carolina in the Duke’s Mayo Bowl in Charlotte, Shane Beamer opened his second spring practice as USC’s coach Tuesday morning. Beamer is working with several new players and coaches and said the enthusiasm and effort for the first practice was excellent.
Beamer confirmed offensive lineman Mark Fox and receiver Jalen Brooks are no longer with the program, and former safety Jaylin Dickerson has retired due to injuries and is working as a student assistant.
More key notes from Beamer:
- Not a lot of mental errors, guys retained their information from the off-season, conditioning part for his team was great, non-stop work, no one struggled with that, guys have worked great in the weight room.
- Thought Rattler did a great job for his first practice with them, was in the huddle some at Oklahoma, so doing that here was different, got under center some, today was a red-zone type day so they were limited with throwing the ball.
- Guys know what the coaches expect and the tempo they want them to practice with, that’s biggest difference from this time last year.
- Thinks Rattler has done a great job of acclimating himself with his new teammates, he works hard and the players respect that.
- Vann has been great, he came back for a reason, to get better and to win more than seven games, he’s done a great job setting the tone, he’s been a leader.
- Sherrod Greene is right on track but is not yet full speed; Luke Doty is also making progress from his surgery but isn’t ready for full practice just yet.
- Sandidge is limited but coming along, he’s close. His rehab has been slower than he would have liked, optimistic he’ll be back to full speed soon. Time for him to take another step. Spaulding had off-season surgery, nothing that will limit him this season.
- Over the next 14 practices, they will build the offense around what they do best, Rattler has a unique skill set, he has more experience than the other quarterbacks, they have some good young players there, lot of options.
- Lot of momentum with his program and that’s being felt in recruiting, had a great month of January, had some big-time players at practice today who are still here, the bowl win just added to the momentum, have worked hard to get recruits on campus.