Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney dispensed a bunch of offers Saturday to prospects who were invited in for a junior day and to watch a spring practice. One went to CB Braeden Marshall (5-10 180) of Lake Mary, FL. Marshall had loaded up on other big-time offers like Nebraska, Arkansas, Penn State, West Virginia, Tennessee, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Maryland, Iowa State, Indiana and Cincinnati.
Those are all great offers from Marshall, and he’s not putting any ahead of the others just yet but getting the one from Clemson was really big to him.
“Clemson will be in my top schools. I will actually be dropping my top-ten on my birthday, which is May 10th,” Marshall said. “I plan on probably making a decision in the late summer.”
As for the visit, Marshall said visiting with Swinney was an eye-opening experience.
“The visit was great. What probably stood out the most was the message from Coach (Dabo) Swinney. The way he really preaches about his players and them getting degrees and the way he focuses on their education more than anything,” Marshall said. “He cares for them as a man and not just as a player.”
A chance to watch the Tigers practice also was big to Marshall. He focused, of course, on the cornerbacks and how they worked under the direction of coach Mike Reed.
“I spent time watching Coach (Mike) Reed,” he said. “I like that he really teaches the players their techniques, and if they have any mistakes, he really teaches them what they need to do and what they should’ve done so they can correct. It’s good to see a coach like that who cares like that. That’s a coach you want to be coached by.”
It was Reed who actually came forward with the offer to Marshall.
“I was talking to Coach Reed and he was like, ‘You’re here!’ He had been telling me he wanted me to visit, and he just told me that he wanted to extend me an offer, which he did,” Marshall said. “To be honest, it’s a blessing just knowing I have an opportunity to go to Clemson, especially because it’s a program that has been winning for the past decade. They have a great coach and a coach who really cares about his players. It’s a blessing, so I’m really thankful for it.”
Last season Marshall registered 28 tackles, 4 interceptions and 12 pass breakups en route to being named to the 8A All-State team as a junior.
Sunday Recruiting Notes:
- Clemson offered OT Zechariah Owens while on a visit Saturday. He also has a Gamecocks offer.
- USC offered SAF Winston Berglund (6-1 191) of Carmel, IN.
- After committing to Florida State Saturday, DT Keith Sampson Jr. said he’s not taking any more visits. He had other trips planned for this month to USC, Clemson, North Carolina and NC State.
- South Florence QB LaNorris Sellers committed to Syracuse. He was once committed to Virginia before the coaching change.
- Christ Church WR BJ Atkins plans to visit Clemson this week.
- USC target OL DJ Chester visited Mississippi State over the weekend.
- USC target RB Treyaun Webb has set an official visit to Baylor.
- Clemson target DE Derrick LeBlanc has set July 23rd for his announcement date.