And some Tuesday night notes
USC this week jumped into the competition for OT Olaus Alinen (6-6 315) of Finland and The Loomis Chaffee School in Windsor, CT. The Gamecocks, led by recruiters Pete Lembo and Greg Adkins, offered Alinen joining a long list of major powers from coast to coast on his offer sheet. Clemson has been recruiting him as well but has not yet offered.
Alinen did not take any visits in January, but he’s planning to have a busy March. Two of his trips will be to USC and Clemson. He just consummated his plans with the Gamecocks this week.
“I know they’ve been aware of me for a pretty long time, but they didn’t really get involved into my recruiting until now since our quarterback (Dante Reno) is going to visit both Clemson and South Carolina during spring break, and I’m staying with him for the spring break and traveling with him,” Alinen said. “I told South Carolina I was coming to visit and that’s where the recruiting process took the next step. We’re going to Clemson on the 16th and South Carolina on the 21st.”
Alinen said the Gamecock coaches are pitching him on the idea of attending their nationally top-ranked international business school while playing in the nation’s top-ranked football conference.
“They say it’s a good fit of football and academics,” Alinen said. “They have a really good business school and that’s what I want to major in. And the play in the SEC. So, the main message from them is it’s a really good combination of both, and they have good people and they put a lot of effort into their football program.”
In typical Clemson form, the Tigers have been slower to offer than the rest. That’s fine with Alinen because he senses that will change on his visit.
“I talked to Coach (Brandon) Streeter and coach Thomas Austin,” Alinen said. “Coach Austin came here. We didn’t have a conversation, but he was watching me workout. They’ve been interested and have been sending positive messaging. I think they are waiting to make the next move when I visit. I have a good amount of knowledge of the program and what they’ve done since 2011 and what their story has been for the past years.”
Alinen said he also wants to visit Southern Cal, Georgia and Ohio State in March. He visited Alabama in November and said at this point the Crimson Tide, Stanford, Penn State, Southern Cal, Ohio State and Texas A&M are standing out to him. He’d like to make his decision before his season if he can.
Alinen’s father spent a season with the Atlanta Falcons practice squad, and also played in NFL Europe. He said he first played football at the age of 13, and he moved to the United State about two years ago to develop his football skills for the next level.
Some Tuesday night/Wednesday afternoon notes:
- CB Braeden Marshall of Lake Mary, FL plans to visit Clemson March 5th.
- Clemson target Christopher Vizzina was offered by Georgia.
- USC offered ATH Ahmad Brown (6-1 195) of Cordele, GA. Some other offers are Connecticut, Utah, South Florida, Kentucky, Coastal Carolina, Liberty, Vanderbilt, Michigan State, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Georgia State and Charlotte.
- USC and Clemson target DT Keith Sampson Jr. was offered by Auburn.
- Clemson target WR Tyler Williams was offered by Southern Cal.
- Camden DT Xzavier McLeod was offered by LSU.
- OL Caleb Carter of Wren committed to Mercer last Sunday.
- Camden WR Tyler Geter committed to Limestone.
- Camden WR Ka’Trez Bracey committed to Mars Hill.
- Camden OL Hank Tarte committed to Brevard.