USC football coach Shane Beamer Friday announced the hiring of Orangeburg native Sterling Lucas as his new defensive ends coach replacing Mike Peterson who left earlier in the month for Florida. Lucas was an assistant defensive line coach with the Jaguars this season and was with the Ravens for five seasons prior. Lucas prepped at Orangeburg-Wilkinson and played collegiately at NC State despite being recruited by Beamer when he was at USC.
Other key items from Beamer’s 30-minute Q&A with the media:
- They’ve not slowed down since the bowl game, heavy in recruiting, heavy in the transfer portal and will continue to be, glad to be back out on the road today, recruiting weekends next three weekends.
- Nine high school signees are on campus, moved in end of last week. Transfers who are committed are in the process of getting to Columbia, Stogner won’t arrive until spring, Rattler will arrive pretty soon, still in Arizona.
- Players voted on permanent captains…JJ Enagbare, Parker White, Jaylan Foster, Jovaughn Gwyn, Jabari Ellis.
- They need to get stronger and faster during the winter workouts, several players have to take that next step in that area.
- Has not had mayonnaise since the mayo bath, he may at some point soon.
- Happy for Kirby Smart and assistants he worked with at Georgia, and s players he helped recruit; that’s ultimately the goal at USC and something they can do, they have more resources now than 2010 when played for SEC title, working towards winning SEC.
- Recruiting is the route to the national championship, that’s something they work on every day.