The Coastal Carolina football team spent much of October working on school nights, as the Chanticleers played a pair of Thursday games, along with a Wednesday night encounter at Appalachian State. This week, CCU gets a return to normalcy as Coastal travels to Georgia Southern for a 6pm kickoff. The Chanticleers enter the game 7-1 overall and 3-1 in the Sun Belt, good enough for a tie with Appalachian State and Georgia State for the East Division lead. Georgia Southern is 2-6 and 1-4 in the league. The Eagles are also in the midst of a coaching change, as Chad Lunsford was fired back in September and will be replaced by former Southern California head coach Clay Helton.
On Wednesday, CCU head coach Jamey Chadwell held his weekly press conference to discuss the eighth meeting between the two teams. GSU leads the all-time series 5-2 with a perfect 2-0 mark against the Chanticleers in Statesboro, Georgia.
Key Comments from Chadwell …
- Opened his media availability commenting on the condition of WPDE-TV Sports Director Brandon Dunn, who is in the hospital battling Covid-19.
- Chadwell says the team has had a good week leading up to Saturday adding, “we know the challenge that we are facing there. We’ve practiced with some purpose.”
- RB Reese White will miss Saturday’s game at Georgia Southern. Was injured in the first half of last week’s game versus Troy.
- Chadwell was not happy with the lack of G-5 representation in this week’s CFP rankings. “I think the ‘Group of Five’ took one on the chin. It’s disappointing. That’s why the G5 wants to get to 12,” participants in the playoff.
- Wrapped up the press conference with a strong defense of candy corn. Says it’s a good Halloween candy and it’s better with cashews. You get the sweet and salty. Challenges Mike Leach to try candy corn with cashews and he would really like it.