Clemson vs Florida State use to be must-see TV. Not the case this Saturday as the 4-3 Tigers host the 3-4 Seminoles. Florida State dominated the ACC under Bobby Bowden, and for a while under Jimbo Fisher. After joining the ACC in 1992, the Seminoles won eleven in a row over the Tigers. As they lost their grip on the league and their place in national prominence, Clemson took control. The Tigers have won five in a row in the series and 11 of the last 17 meetings.
They did not play last season as scheduled in Tallahassee as the game was canceled that Saturday morning due to a Covid issue with the Seminoles, so the rivalry will resume this Saturday afternoon at Death Valley. And the Bowden name will be prominent as Clemson will honor Bobby, who died in August, and welcome back their former coach and Bobby’s son Tommy, who will return to Death Valley for the first time since his departure in mid-season of 2008.
Some of Dabo Swinney’s key comments on the Seminoles:
- Hopes to have Rayburn, Ngata and Williams back this week. Not sure about Jake Venables, gametime decision; Pace is out with Covid protocol.
- The play of the Florida State quarterback is a reason they are playing better, he can beat you, great scrambler, creates a lot of explosive plays, hard to corral.
- Florida State running the ball extremely well, lots of big plays out of the running game.
- Florida State defense is playing very well, playing with a lot more structure, huge inside with big bodies, playing with a lot of confidence. FSU is better than their record.
- They’ve never had a year like this in terms of loss of top players; been in position to win every game; they have an opportunity to learn from the struggle.
- There is a foundation here that’s well established, this season is going to make them stronger, this is one season in the midst of an incredible journey, as good as there has been in college football ever, and there are more good ones to come.
- Said it’s great that walking off the field about 2000 fans shout that DJ Uiagalelei “stinks”, but they use a different word, it’s great for Uiagalelei to hear that considering it’s all ben positive for him prior to this season.
- The passing game woes is not all on Uiagalelei, though he’s missed his share of throws, he needs more help around him, like fewer drops.
- No hard feelings with Norvell over what happened last season with the game called off in Tallahassee, the two have talked a lot and all is good, said Norvell has done a great job.