South Carolina returns home this week for its annual “State Fair Game” as the Vanderbilt Commodores visit Columbia for a 4pm kickoff on the SEC Network. After last Saturday’s loss at Tennessee, the Gamecocks are still in search of their first SEC victory since a 30-22 defeat of Auburn last October. USC has dropped nine straight league games since that win versus the Tigers, including all three conference games thus far this year.
If there is a team that can help the Gamecocks snap the streak, it should be Vanderbilt. Against SEC competition, the Commodores are last in total offense, last in scoring offense, next to last in total defense, last in pass efficiency, and next to last in rush defense. Carolina is 26-4 all-time against Vanderbilt having won twelve straight, including last year’s 41-7 triumph in Nashville.
On Tuesday, head coach Shane Beamer met with the media to preview Saturday’s matchup and reflect on the loss to the Vols.
Key Comments from Beamer …
- Stressed to Gamecock fans that if you have tickets and aren’t planning to use them Saturday, “please donate them.”
- Vandy rushed for 247 yards versus Stanford earlier this year. USC’s defense is allowing 159 yards per contest on the ground.
- Nobody is happy with 3-3 and nobody’s happy statistically with where we are at this point. Is it good enough, no. I’ve seen progress.
- Says it was head-scratching how poorly the Gamecocks played in the first quarter last week versus Tennessee. Noted it was a great week of practice beforehand.
- Injury wise the Gamecocks are fine, “we’re in great shape, no one was limited in practice that wasn’t out previously.”
- Referenced 2007, “I remember going up to Chapel Hill the week before and we beat a good UNC team and then came back here & lost to Vanderbilt at home. There’s a great healthy respect for every opponent we play.”