USC travels to Tennessee this Saturday seeking their first SEC win of the season. The Gamecocks are 3-2 coming off a win over Troy. Tennessee also is 3-2 and rolled up huge offensive numbers in a win at Missouri last Saturday. The Gamecocks and Vols have a tendency to play close games against one another. Eight of the last night meetings were decided by six points or less.
The Gamecocks, who entered the SEC in 1992, are looking for their 100th win in league play. They are also looking to end an eight game SEC losing streak. Tennessee is favored by 10.5 points.
Some key comments from Shane Beamer from his Tuesday press conference:
- In pretty good shape injury wise, optimistic all the dinged-up guys will be able to play.
- Tennessee will run tempo and will try to play fast, but they want to run the ball first and foremost, Vols defense playing with great effort.
- They are getting points when they get to the red zone, 3rd or 4th in the SEC in red zone offense, but need to get touchdowns and not field goals, wants Parker White kicking extra points, not field goals.
- Hates to see OrTre Smith enter the transfer portal, has known him since he was at Georgia and recruiting him, fantastic young man, hard decision for Smith to decide to leave, wants to be where he can get more playing time, he’s behind Vann and Jenkins.
- Feels that break out game for Harris is coming, looking for the offensive line to get better and Harris to continue to feel better, feels Harris is getting closer to where he was last season.