USC went back-to-back with commitments from Georgia prospects Monday when DT Felix Hixon (6-4 280) of Jackson announced his plans to join Shane Beamer’s program in 2022. His declaration comes a day after the Gamecocks landed safety Emory Floyd of Powder Springs and gives the Gamecocks five commitments from the Peach State. Hixon also is the last of those private commitments to Beamer to go public.
Beamer and defensive line coach Jimmy Lindsey targeted Hixon immediately upon coming to Columbia. Hixon had been offered by the Will Muschamp staff and they picked up right where the old staff left off. Hixon said a major selling point to him on the Gamecocks was the new people in charge.
“Mainly the coach staff, especially Coach Lindsey and Coach Beamer,” Hixon said. “Coach Lindsey is my position coach and we’ve been in contact a lot. I feel like he’s a good coach that can develop me to get to the next level. Coach Beamer, he’s stepping in and I like the program he’s building. That’s something to be a part of.”
The Gamecocks are putting together what could turn out to be a top 15 type of recruiting class. Hixon said he’s been watching the pieces come together and is excited to be a part of it.
“I see the group coming in day by day, and I can see myself doing big things there, putting my name out there and helping the program succeed,” Hixon said. “They like my character and how I play. My aggressiveness off the ball, my quickness off the ball, I’m very explosive.”
Hixon, growing up in the heard of SEC Country, also is excited over the prospects of playing in college football’s top league.
“Playing in the SEC, it’s the biggest conference and one of the most competitive conferences in college football,” Hixon said. “It means a lot having grown up seeing big time players come thru the SEC. It will be an honor playing the SEC for myself, getting that experience, it will be great.”
Hixon chose the Gamecocks over Wisconsin, Illinois, Georgia Tech and Virginia. He took official visits to each. He is rated a three-star and ranked the #84 defensive tackle nationally in the 247Sports Composite.
Hixon is the 15th new commitment for the Gamecocks’ 2022 class which totals 17 at this point with the inclusion of two transfers.
USC 2022 class
- TYRESE ROSS SAF 6-2 185 TRANSFER WASHINGTON STATE
- KARON PRUNTY CB 6-1 189 TRANSFER KANSAS
- GRAYSON MAINS OT 6-5 265 SUWANEE, GA
- BRADEN DAVIS QB 6-5 185 MIDDLETOWN, DE
- DONOVAN WESTMORELAND LB 6-2 195 GRIFFIN, GA
- KAJUAN BANKS CB 5-10 170 TALLAHASSEE
- JY’VONTE MCCLENDON SAF 6-2 180 LAKELAND, FL
- JAMAAL WHYCE DT 6-4 250 MIAMI
- PEYTON WILLIAMS SAF 6-0 180 ROCKLEDGE, TX
- CASON HENRY OT 6-6 290 MARIETTA, GA
- KYLIC HORTON WR 6-4 180 CLARENDON HALL
- ANTHONY ROSE SAF 6-4 180 MIAMI
- RYAN BRUBAKER OT 6-6 280 STEVENS, PA
- LANDON SAMSON WR 6-1 185 SOUTHLAKE, TX
- NICK EMMANWORI SAF 6-4 195 IRMO
- EMORY FLOYD SAF 6-1 165 POWDER SPRINGS, GA
- FELIX HIXON DT 6-4 280 JACKSON, GA