The goal of every spring football game is to come out injury free. Unfortunately for Clemson Saturday, the injury bug bit hard late in the game when backup quarterback Taisun Phommachanh suffered a non-contact torn Achilles tendon in his left ankle while rolling out on a pass play. He likely will miss the 2021 season and his absence will leave the Tigers with a question mark behind starter DJ Uiagalelei.
Walk-on Hunter Helms now assumes the role of backup, and he will be joined by three quarterbacks this summer…Bubba Chandler, Will Taylor and preferred walk-on Billy Wiles.
Highlights from the spring game won by the White 14-13 on a late Phil Mafah 4 yard touchdown run:
- Uiagalelei looked smooth completing 20-28 for 174 yards and 1 touchdown, a 14 yard pass to Beaux Collins.
- Phommachanh was 14-25 for 163 yards with a touchdown and an interception.
- Helms was 5-8 for 40 yards and threw a pick.
- The QBs were 45-69 for 425 yards, 2 touchdowns and 2 interceptions.
- Kobe Pace led the ground game with 69 yards on 6 carries with a long of 26 yards.
- Phil Mafah also flashed with 38 yards on 6 carries and the late touchdown.
- Ajou Ajou, Joseph Ngata and Jaelyn Lay each had 6 catches. Ajou totaled 102 yards and 1 touchdown.
- Jalyn Phillips and Jake Venables led the defenses with 9 tackle each.
- Sergio Allen and RJ Mickens came up with interceptions.
- The defenses combined for 11 sacks (touching the QB), Tyler Venables had 3.5 sacks.
- BJ Potter hit field goals from 54 yards (better than his career long) and 24 yards.
- Among the players who missed the game were SAF Andrew Mukuba, DE KJ Henry, WR Justyn Ross, LB Baylon Spector, WR Brannon Spector, CB Malcolm Greene, SAF Nolan Turner, OL Trent Howard, TE Braden Galloway, WR Frank Ladson, CB Jack McCall, CB Mario Goodrich, DT Etinosa Reuben, SAF Lannden Zanders, LB James Skalski, OG Matt Bockhorst, TE Like Pride and TE Sage Ennis.