Speedy WR CJ Smith (6-3 180) of Orlando recently named a top 10 that included USC. Wednesday night he went a little deeper identifying four schools that will get official visits in June. He’ll start with Arkansas on the 4th followed by USC June 11th. Next will come visits to Florida and Auburn. He has not yet decided on his fifth official visit.
USC receivers coach Justin Stepp first started to recruit Smith when he was at Arkansas. He immediately picked up on the recruiting when he got to Columbia. It’s his involvement that primarily has the Gamecocks in the ballgame with Smith.
“It’s because of my relationship with the coaching staff, especially Coach Stepp,” Smith said. “He’s definitely a huge part of it. If he wasn’t there, I don’t think I would be having the conservation. He’s definitely one of the strongest relationships that I have. It’s because of honesty and our connection. He was also a receiver and he’s coached some really good receivers.”
Smith is looking forward to hitting the road and seeing what the schools have to offer in person. He’s done the Zooms, the FaceTimes and the virtual visits, and those don’t cut it when it comes to making such an important decision.
“Everything that they have to offer,” Smith said of what he wants to see. “It kind of sucks how I wasn’t able to do my visits last year. It’s really hard to make a decision based on virtual aspects. I really have to see it all.”
Smith wants to make his decision in mid-August, and there a few boxes the winning school must check.
“Just how comfortable I feel being there,” Smith said. “How they would use me, and their game plan for me running track as well. That’s another big aspect, me having to run both track and football.”
Smith is one of the top track athletes in Florida. He said he will run the 100 meters, 200 meters and the 4 X 100 relay in college.
- USC RB target Jaylon Glover of Lakeland, FL plans to name his top schools Thursday at Noon.
- USC target LB Omar Graham of Ft. Lauderdale plans to name his final schools Friday.
- QB Braden Davis of Middletown, DE, who has drawn some interest from USC and visited last week, was offered by Iowa.
- Clemson target SAF Xavier Nwankpa of Altoona, IA was offered by TCU.
- DE DJ Wesolak of Booneville, MO said he’s 99% sure he’ll attend the Clemson Elite Retreat June 11.
- The USC baseball team got a commitment from RHP James Hicks (6-2 180) of Crowder JC, AR. This season Hicks is 5-0 with a 3.25 ERA. He has 36 strikeouts in 36 innings and only 1 walk. He’s also pitched 3 complete games, third best figure in junior college ball this season. Hicks is a native of Conway, AR. He’s a freshman but in his second season with the program.