Four-star QB Braden Davis (6-5 184) of Middletown, DE is closing in on his college decision. In doing so, he hit the road this week to check out some possibilities. Thursday he was at Duke and NC State. Friday he checked out USC. Saturday he goes to Georgia Tech. The Gamecocks are newcomers to his recruiting scene and have not offered, but Davis was interested enough to make the visit.
“Everything was really nice,” Davis said. “Today was the first time I’ve very been to South Carolina. I got to check out that I wanted to see, the academic buildings, all the dorms, the football facilities, see the stadium, stuff like that. It was a great visit. Campus-wise, it was really just South Carolina’s flavor and a regular college campus.”
Pete Lembo is the area recruiter for Davis, so he’s heard from him and quarterbacks coach Marcus Satterfield. They are still in the get-to-know you phase of the process.
“We’ve only been in contact for a short while,” Davis said. “We haven’t really talked to much recruiting other than building a relationship, just getting to know each other, things like that. We’ll see (on an offer). I believe so, hopefully.”
The NCAA imposed dead period is in place thru the end of May. It’s expected official visits will be allowed after that. But by then, Davis expects to have made his decision.
“Hopefully I’ll be able to make a decision before the dead period is over with,” Davis said. “I just wanted to get out on the road and check out a couple of campuses so I could take a step closer to narrowing things down and eventually making the decision. We’re taking steps in that direction.”
Davis has offers from Duke, NC State, Maryland, Washington State, Alabama, Florida, Oregon, Penn State, Virginia Tech, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, West Virginia, Michigan State, Stanford, Florida State and Arkansas.
Davis moved to Florida for the 2020 season but suffered an ankle injury in the third game and returned to Delaware. In three games he was 21-47 for 261 yards, 4 touchdowns and 2 interceptions, and he rushed for 44 yards and 2 scores.
His father is Antone Davis, former All-American offensive lineman at Tennessee and the #8 pick in the 1991 Draft.
Davis is rated a 4-star in the 247Sports Composite and ranked the #6 dual-threat quarterback in the 2022 class.
- USC in the top 12 with 4-star DE Justice Finkley (6-2 255) of Trussville, AL. The others are LSU, Oregon, Michigan, Alabama, Florida, Colorado, Southern Cal, Kentucky, Texas, Stanford and UCF. #7 strongside DE, 82 tackles, 10 tackles for loss & 4 sacks.
- Clemson has set the weekend of June 12-13 for .some of its top prospects to be on campus, calling the weekend the “Elite Retreat.” Committed QB Cade Klubnik plans to attend.
- Clemson target SAF Xavier Nwankpa of Altoona, IA has set official visits to Ohio State June 4th and Notre Dame June 18th according to Rivals.
- Clemson target WR Brennen Thompson of Spearman, TX has set an official visit to Oklahoma State June 9th. He also plans to take an unofficial visit to Texas A&M in June.
- USC target WR Jayden Gibson of Winter Garden, FL has set official visits to Florida for June 4th, Miami June 10th and Baylor June 18th.