Three practices in as a first year head coach at USC and Shane Beamer sees a lot of positives, but not a lot of answers. Meeting with the media via Zoom Thursday afternoon following practice #3, which was the first practice in pads, Beamer said he loves the energy and work ethic of his players, but there are still more questions than answers when it comes to naming starters for many of the positions on his team.
Some of Beamer’s key comments:
- Got some guys dealing with some injuries and illnesses, had a couple of guys get banged up today, nothing serious
- There will be a rotation at running back, the more the better. Want to get the best players on the field, but to want to ride the hot hand back there.
- Thought the physicality for first day in pads was good, there was some knocking off of the rust, energy was good. Impressed with defensive line and the edge guys, they flashed.
- QB Jason Brown did practice today. All four quarterbacks have done a good job thus far.
- Thin on defense right now, not enough guys to put a third group out there to work against a third offensive group.
- Trying to figure out where EJ Jenkins works best, tight end or receiver, he’s being used a little bit of everywhere. Excited about OrTre Smith and the plays he’s made. Josh Vann had a great catch the other day, Rico Powers also has looked good.
- Been impressed with Doty, he’s trying to lead and doing a great job of that even though he’s still a freshman, he carries himself like a senior.
- Moving guys around at the nickel and SAM LB and will figure out those guys in time and with new players coming in, still trying to figure out the best overall 11 for the defense.
- TE Keveon Mullins has been able to practice.
- Wants his players to want to love to come to practice, to want to be in the football building, knowing that it takes an extreme amount of work, but he wants his players to want to love to do the work.