New USC defensive line coach Jimmy Lindsey grew up just across the border in a small North Carolina town, and he’s using one of his contacts from those days in recruiting DE Eli Hall (6-5 230) of Shelby, NC. Lindsey and Hall’s coach are childhood friends, so that has helped to jump-start the relationship development between the two.
“Mainly I’ve been talking with coach Jimmy Lindsey. He’s been talking about getting me on a visit whenever we can go on them,” Hall said. “He said he likes a little bit of everything about me. He knows where I come from because my head coach and him played together and lived in the same county back in high school. He said I have an all-around game and I’m very versatile.”
Hall said the Gamecocks have made him a priority, picking up on where the previous staff left off, and the relationship building started soon after Shane Beamer became the head coach.
“It’s excellent,” Hall said. “I’ve talked to Coach Beamer. I talked to him in the first week or two when he got there. They are trying to bring the culture back.”
Hall also has offers from Texas, East Carolina, Southern Cal, Wake Forest, Virginia Tech, Virginia, Minnesota, Ole Miss, Penn State, Duke, Auburn, Georgia, Georgia Tech and Indiana.
“Everybody is in the mix,” he said. “I’m just taking it as slow as I can right now. Everybody that’s been recruiting me has been consistent. I want it (his choice) to feel like home and somewhere where I can further my education. That’s my main two things.”
Hall, who is rated a four-star and is ranked the #18 strongside defensive end nationally in the 247Sports Composite, has set October 5th, his mother’s birthday, for his commitment announcement.
- USC target OT Ryan Brubaker of Stevens, PA has added offers from Louisville, Michigan and Syracuse. He recently visited Penn State and plans an official visit with the Gamecocks.
- USC and Clemson target TE Oscar Delp of Cumming, GA has set an official visit with USC for June 25th. He has one set with Georgia for June 4th.
- USC target CB Keenan Nelson of Philadelphia was offered by Louisville.
- USC target OL Leyton Nelson of Orlando set an official visit to Pitt for June 3rd.
- USC target LB EJ Lightsey of Fitzgerald, GA was offered by Kentucky.
- Clemson target DE DJ Wesolak of Boonville, MO was offered by North Carolina.
- Carolina Forest OL Caleb Godfree committed to Coastal Carolina.