USC secondary coach Torrian Gray has cast a wide net around the state of Florida trying to catch some defensive backs he can bring to Columbia. He offered SAF Kajuan Banks (5-10 170) of Tallahassee in January, just a few days after joining the Gamecock staff.
Banks is considered a safety by the analysts but can also play corner and nickel. That’s a reason Gray has continued to pursue him.
“Coach Gray is keeping touch and is telling me he wants me to play early and all that,” Banks said. “I can play anywhere in the secondary to be honest. He said I’m explosive and have a fast twitch. “Versatility and speed. Speed is my game.”
Banks is just getting to know Gray, and just starting to learn about USC and its program. He does know the school has a reputation with defensive backs, and that’s got the Gamecocks in his top five which he has not yet released.
“I know they produce DBs and put them in the league,” Banks said. “South Carolina is most definitely in those schools.”
In 8 games last season, Banks had 52 tackles with 8 pass deflections and 3 interceptions. He’s a three-star prospect in the 247Sports Composite and is ranked the #44 safety nationally in his class.
Other notes from the weekend:
- USC offered DE Aaron Hester (6-3 221) of Neptune Beach, FL. He’s been committed to Florida State since late January. His father played at Florida State and in the NFL. He is rated a three-star prospect and is ranked the #27 weakside defensive end nationally in the 247 Sports Composite. Some of his other offers include Arkansas, USF, Maryland, Penn State, Michigan, Harvard, Yale and Dartmouth.
- DT Aaron Bryant of Southaven, MS took a virtual visit with USC. He also picked up an offer from Kentucky.
- Clemson target OT Kiyaunta Goodwin of Charlestown, IN named a top 5 of Clemson, Kentucky, Ohio State, Michigan State and Alabama.
- Clemson target DE Jihaad Campbell of IMG Academy was offered by Alabama.
- Clemson target DE Samuel Okunlola of Brockton, MA was offered by Georgia.
- Dorman OL Cale Brown committed to Newberry.
- Sumter CB Kameron Pearson is reclassifying to 2022 and will transfer to AHOP Christian Academy in Chapel Hill, NC.
- 6-9 Perry Smith of Legacy Charter was offered by Boston College.
- 6-6 Julian Phillips of Blythewood was offered by Boston College.
- 2023 6-8 GG Jackson of Ridge View was offered by Boston College.
- Dutch Fork INF/OF Evan Stone committed to USC.