Clemson coach Dabo Swinney wanted to talk about this week’s opponent, the Pitt Panthers, but the media kept dragging him back to last weekend’s issues at Florida State, at least early on in his Tuesday press conference. And Swinney would not budge off the positions he stated in his Sunday night conference call…that Clemson followed all protocols, that the Clemson medial staff was unanimous in that belief, and that Saturday’s game should have been played. Pressed on his Sunday night comments questioning the real reasons why Florida State did not want to play Saturday, Swinney kicked the answer back down the road to Tallahassee. As for Pitt, Swinney said…..they’re really good.
Some of Swiinney’s other key comments Tuesday
- Pitt is a very good team, 5-4 but that includes couple of close losses, among the best nationally in tackles for loss and sacks, really good on defensive line, two of best defensive ends they’ll see, very physical defense, built to stop the run.
- Everything starts with the quarterback on offense for Pitt, Pickett is a really good player, they are throwing it all over the place, 10 and 11 personnel, lots of deep shots.
- Pitt is probably the fastest team they’ve played in terms of tempo, catch teams not lining up properly and receivers get turned loose,, really good receivers, probably deepest group they’ve played.
- Has had conversations with seniors about coming back in 2021 under the NCAA rule, and he said several have indicated they will return, several aren’t sure but are leaning to coming back.
- Can’t say that Ladson and/or Skalski won’t play this week. Neither is on the depth chart for the game at this point. Hopes to have guys like Mike Jones and Tyler Davis back since they have this extended time off.
- Despite being out of site for three weeks, the CFP committee has plenty of material on his team since they’ve played 8 games, all that matters is making ACC Championship Game, control their destiny for that, ACC champ will be in playoffs.
Dabo Swinney press conference